Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My house smells like Fall...


I know it's SPRING where most of you are from. But, for the people that live in Wisconsin. Well, let's just say we're still getting the "S" word..(SNOW!!) 
SO, with that being said. My family and I are observing Days of Unleavened Bread. We go without eating things that have leavening agents in them for seven days!


As I was digging around my cupboards to see what I could make today, I came across a can of pumpkin that I purchased from Thanksgiving last year. So I decided to make pumpkin bars.

As the pumpkin bars were baking in the oven. I was reminded of Fall. The smell of the pumpkin, cinnamon and vanilla were following through my house. It smelled so goooood! Like really good! Fall is my favorite season. I'll enjoy eating anything that calls for pumpkin all year round! :)

Back to the baking...

I was really surprised how good they came out without any baking soda or baking powder in them. The flavor and texture is very similar to eating a pumpkin pie without the crust.
I tried searching unleavened pumpkin bar recipes. But could only find recipes that called for leaving agents in them. So, I just figured I'll play around in the kitchen today and make up my own recipe.

I am very happy what I came up with and I decided to whip up some cream cheese frosting to add some extra goodness and topped it off with some sliced almonds.

YUM-EEE!!!
 

Gather the good stuff:

2 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of Sugar
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Sprinkle of  Salt
4 eggs
1 can of Pumpkin (15 ounces)
1 cup Vegetable oil



Pre-heat your oven to 350* degrees.

Bake in a cooking sheet, (You can use parchment paper if you like but don't have to do this. I just find that it helps a lot easier to get the bars out of the pan.)

Mix all the dry ingredients. Stir in the eggs, pumpkin, vanilla and oil and mix thoroughly.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool the pumpkin bars completely before adding frosting!

While the bars are cooling..

Gather your stuff to make the cream cheese frosting:

1-8 ounce package of cream cheese (softened)
1 stick of butter (softened)
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups of powdered sugar

With a electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar while mixing.

Now the fun part:

Schemer the frosting over your cooled bars & add slice almonds!

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment